18th century stays confession

Remember how I said I would post photos and tell you about my 18th century stays in progress? 

No longer. Because I tried them on and it’s all wrong; they’re too short in the body, not wore enough in the neckline, the stomacher is not big enough, and the placement of the bones at the side seams means that the stays don’t sit comfortably on the body. In fact, the made me look worse than if I’d worn no stays at all. 

I really can’t see any way of fixing these, but I’m not TOO upset. The problem is, that I used pretty much all of the pink linen so I can’t redo them. 

In any case, it means that I can work on my 1860s cage crinoline. This is something I’ve been puttin off for a while, and so either this or adding a peplum to my corset cover will be my January HSM. 

So, like I say each time, photos will come soon, but the cafe crinoline is still in progress and looks a bit tatty. 

Advertisements

Regency short stays

In my moment of madness some days ago, I decided I would make a pair of Regency short stays. 

If you don’t know what they look like, they look like this:

  
So far, I have drafted a pattern, but I’m not sure if it fits so I’ll have to make a mock up. 

It will be perfect for the June HSM Challenge – Out of your Comfort Zone, as I am planning to use cording, which I have never done before. It will be a step into the unknown! 

In other news, I have pinned on the binding of my corset – white satin ribbon which looks nice and doesn’t require and folding or ironing or faffing around. I’ll need to do tiny, invisible whip stitches all he way around, and then order grommets off Amazon… 

Not much to do at all, on top of exams!