18th century stays confession

Remember how I said I would post photos and tell you about my 18th century stays in progress? 

No longer. Because I tried them on and it’s all wrong; they’re too short in the body, not wore enough in the neckline, the stomacher is not big enough, and the placement of the bones at the side seams means that the stays don’t sit comfortably on the body. In fact, the made me look worse than if I’d worn no stays at all. 

I really can’t see any way of fixing these, but I’m not TOO upset. The problem is, that I used pretty much all of the pink linen so I can’t redo them. 

In any case, it means that I can work on my 1860s cage crinoline. This is something I’ve been puttin off for a while, and so either this or adding a peplum to my corset cover will be my January HSM. 

So, like I say each time, photos will come soon, but the cafe crinoline is still in progress and looks a bit tatty. 


1860s corset cover

So I got a little sidetracked and I’ve ended up making an 1860s corset cover…. Oops. It was actually very simple, but I thought it’s a nice addition to the corset. It’s made from cotton, with linen lace and plastic buttons, because they were the only ones I could find. 

The neckline and armholes are finished by hand, but the seams are machine sewn for strength and because I was getting impatient. 

It’s not actually finished yet, but all there is left to do is sew in the remaining buttons and make the buttonholes. 

Victorian corset – FINISHED!

Well, it has been many months – three, I think, although it feels much longer!  Admittedly, the project hasn’t been my number one priority most of the time, but it is now, officially finished! My first, and hopefully not last, corset was finished today, so I’ll quit nattering and get to the photos.

First I had to insert all of the eyelets. I used twelve per length. After much hammering, this was the result:


So, the eyelets aren’t perfectly even and are a little out of alignment in some places. I didn’t measure the spaces 100% accurately, so I think it actually turned out pretty well!

Then I added some lovely vintage lace to the top:


Here’s what it looks like, both sides together:


I have yet to try it on, but as soon as I have laced it and adjusted the lacing, I will post more pictures!

Corset progress – nearly there! 

So I have finished the flossing!! Yaaayyyyy!!!! It took me over half a day, but it is done. 


I was going to use a gold thread, to match the gold dots, but it tried it and it just looked tacky, so I decided to use pink because… I don’t need an excuse to use pink, right? 


I believe that these are also the first photos to show it fully bound with ribbon, so double excitement!   

All that’s left to do is order and insert the eyelets… I feel that although there is a light at the end of the tunnel, it’s a little way off yet, so I’m not getting any hopes up. Knowing the luck that I’ve had with this corset, something else is bound to go wrong… Fingers crossed for me! 

More corset progress updates

I have finished binding both halves of the corset! There is a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel. 


I won’t show you the inside of the corset, because it’s really too atrocious for words, but the outside is pretty and no one is going to see the inside, so in my mind that’s okay. 

To do now: flossing while I wait for the ordered grommets to arrive, and setting the grommets. That. Is. It. 

I also plan to make a chemise to go under before I have a proper photoshoot in it. 

That’s all for now; back to revision! 

Regency short stays

In my moment of madness some days ago, I decided I would make a pair of Regency short stays. 

If you don’t know what they look like, they look like this:

So far, I have drafted a pattern, but I’m not sure if it fits so I’ll have to make a mock up. 

It will be perfect for the June HSM Challenge – Out of your Comfort Zone, as I am planning to use cording, which I have never done before. It will be a step into the unknown! 

In other news, I have pinned on the binding of my corset – white satin ribbon which looks nice and doesn’t require and folding or ironing or faffing around. I’ll need to do tiny, invisible whip stitches all he way around, and then order grommets off Amazon… 

Not much to do at all, on top of exams! 

Corset progress update and a bit of cuteness

Well, the boning has arrived, with much joy from the cat, as it was delivered with… A cardboard box. Oh yes. But if this wasn’t enough excitement for one little cat, the box was filled with… Brown paper packaging. Basically, Christmas, birthdays and all other occasions including wrapping paper had come early. 


She wasted no time getting to know the ins and outs of this. 

The box was also promptly sat in, but I didn’t capture pictures of that. 

Anyone with a cat can sympathise, and as I tried to wrap a present in this paper (I used nice paper on top, don’t worry. I thought it might be fun for my friend to try and guess how many layers of brown paper there was before she could get to the actual present. She didn’t find it as amusing at anitcipted…. Can’t think why.) my little helper sat on the paper. In the middle of it, next to her bed, but no. The paper was far preferable to a comfy, cosy nest which she loves. 

Anyway, so I have inserted the last bone and made a sampler for flossing patterns and colours.  I am ill (just as exams are getting under way, great) and now have the time to do this instead of revising…



At the moment I’m thinking that this one above will be best, as the colours tie in nicest. 

If you don’t know what flossing is, it is embroidery on a corset, mainly used at the bottom of the bone channel where the bone ends to prevent it piercing the fabric. 

It can be simple…


Or complex…


Anyway, it’s pretty, pretty, pretty and I look forward to adding some colour to my corset. 

All that’s left to god now is bind I and insert the grommets. Doesn’t sound much, but I bet it’ll be huge.